Inn at Riverbend | Virginia Green Travel Alliance Announces 2018 Green Travel Star & Green Travel Leader Award Winners!
RICHMOND, VA. — The Virginia Green program will present the Virginia Green Travel Star Award to nineteen (19) Virginia tourism operations for their outstanding commitments to sustainability and contributions to green tourism at the 6th annual Virginia Green Travel Conference and Travel Star Awards Celebration. Five additional tourism businesses will be recognized and receive the Virginia Green Travel Leader Award, and three individuals will receive the Green Team All-Star Award for their efforts to protect the environment and promote green tourism in Virginia. One individual will be recognized for their career efforts to support green tourism and receive the Industry Game-Changer Award.
The conference is being held on April 24-25, 2019 at the Hotel Madison & Shenandoah Valley Conference Center. It will feature educational workshops, amazing speakers and panels, a green tourism business expo that is open to the public. Speakers on the first day include First Lady of Virginia Pamela Northam and keynote speaker Shawn Norton of the National Park Service. The second features sustainability efforts in the Shenandoah Valley and the 2018 Virginia Green Travel Awards hosted by Rita McClenny, President & CEO of Virginia Tourism Corporation and local meteorologist Aubrey Urbanowicz.
The Virginia Green program is supported through a partnership between the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality, the Virginia Tourism Corporation, the Virginia Restaurant, Lodging & Travel Association, and the Virginia Green Travel Alliance. The program encourages green practices in all sectors of Virginia’s tourism industry. More than 1,800 businesses and partner organizations have voluntarily certified their green business practices through the Virginia Green program. The 2018 Virginia Green Travel Star Award winners are:
• Green Travel Partners of the Year Wild Wolf Brewing Company, Nellysford
• Green Attraction of the Year Birdsong Pleasure Garden, Luray
• Green B&B of the Year Inn at Riverbend, Pearisburg
• Green Brewery of the Year Coelacanth, Norfolk
• Green Caterer of the Year Full Circle Catering, Lexington
• Green Convention Center of the Year Virginia Beach Convention Center
• Green Event of the Year Black Run Clean-Up, Harrisonburg
• Green Hotel of the Year Doubletree by Hilton Virginia Beach
• Green Dining Services JMU Dining Services, Harrisonburg
• Green Supplier of the Year Yuck Old Paint, LLC, Vienna
• Green Supplier of the Year Sysco Virginia, Harrisonburg
• Green Vacation Rental of the Year Sandswept, Virginia Beach
• Green Winery of the Year Delaplane Cellars, Delaplane
• Most Innovative Green Projects Civil War Trails, Williamsburg
• Most Innovative Green Projects BF Saul Company Hospitality Group
• Most Innovative Green Projects Nauticus, Norfolk
• Most Innovative Green Projects Virginia Living Museum, Newport News
• Most Innovative Green Projects Kiptopeke State Park
• Most Innovative Green Projects Grayson Highlands State Park
• Most Innovative Green Projects RIC – Capitol Region Airport Commission
The 2018 Virginia Green Travel Leader Award winners are:
• Back INN Time, Kilmarnock
• Oak Grove Plantation B&B, South Boston
• Mountain Song Inn, Willis
• Shady Acres B&B, Hanover
• Port City Brewing Company, Alexandria
The 2018 Green Team All-Star Award winners are:
• Danny Wolf, Wild Wolf Brewing Company
• Perry DeMay of Virginia State Parks
• Rehn West, Nauticus
The 2018 Industry Game-Changer Award winner is:
• Kurt Burkhart, formerly w/ Charlottesville-Albemarle Convention & Visitors Bureau
Registration information and the full conference agenda can be found at www.tinyurl.com/y3awevrs.
Members of the news media are invited to attend the conference and awards luncheon on March 2nd.
If you would like to attend or for more information, please contact Tom Griffin of the Virginia Green
Travel Alliance at (804) 986-9119 or VirginiaGreen@Virginia.org.
➢ The Virginia Tourism Corporation promotes the Virginia Green program partners at
www.VirginiaGreenTravel.org and encourages visitors to plan their green vacations in Virginia.
➢ The Virginia Department of Environmental Quality provides technical resources and oversight of the
certification process — www.deq.virginia.gov/Programs/PollutionPrevention/VirginiaGreen.aspx.
➢ The Virginia Green Travel Alliance is the non-profit organization that administers the Virginia Green
certification program and supports partner outreach and educational opportunities – www.VirginiaGreen.net &
➢ The Virginia Restaurant Lodging & Hospitality Association assists in promotion and development of
educational opportunities for the tourism industry.