Lead Mechanic Job
Lead Mechanic Job
The lead mechanic is responsible for performing and managing all duties both technical and administrative for the county garage. This position is responsible to trouble shoot, repair and perform preventative maintenance as well as repairs on all types of vehicles and heavy equipment within the counties fleet. Repairs shall be made in a safe, cost effective and time efficient manner. The lead mechanic must have practical knowledge of all types of machinery and tools. The position requires good management skills as well as solid judgment and a good understanding of the possible consequences of the work performed. Duties also include responsibility for evaluating, prioritizing and delegating work to all garage mechanics.
- Comply with established safety and operating rules, procedures, and guidelines; and be responsible for reporting un-safe practices to your supervisor.
- Will be responsible for prioritizing and delegating workload for garage mechanics.
- Maintain a clean and safe working environment to protect oneself and others in accordance with all department guidelines and all applicable company safety rules.
- Must be able to operate all types of vehicles, equipment and tools.
- Must be able to perform minor and major repairs on all types of equipment, including but not limited to, all vehicles, heavy equipment, trailers, and power operated equipment as well as hand tools.
- Will be responsible for maintaining accurate computer/written records of time, inspections and parts used on specific work order tasks.
- Assist in developing transportation maintenance and repair procedures.
- Perform all other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Supervision/Direction of Others
Directs, instructs and works with the department staff and co-workers on vehicle/ equipment repairs and maintenance issues. Works with individual vehicle/equipment operators to understand and solve complaints and concerns in regards to proper vehicle/equipment maintenance and operation.
Educational Experience This position requires a High School diploma or its equivalent. In addition this position requires a minimum of a two-year degree in heavy truck mechanics or equivalent vocational training. The position also requires a minimum of 4 years of relevant experience. A minimum of 7 years of experience may be substituted for the Degree/Vocational school requirement and experience combination. Specific mechanic certifications may be required and/or desired.
- Must have thorough knowledge and experience with but not limited to: hydraulic systems, gas engines, diesel engines, electrical systems, drive trains and various hand tools.
- Must have basic typing and good writing skills.
- Must be able to use a personal computer, to access information and complete data entry for maintaining repair records.
- Must have the knowledge and ability to prioritize job tasks.
- Must be able to work independently.
- Must be able to manage teams.
- Must support teamwork by participating, cooperating, and communicating with co-workers.
- Must hold a current commercial driver’s license (C.D.L.) or have the ability to obtain within 6 months.
- Must hold a current VA State inspection certification or have the ability to obtain within 6 months.
- Must be able to effectively communicate with customers and co-workers by providing accurate, meaningful, courteous and timely responses to their questions or concerns.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
This requires the following physical demands: significant lifting, carrying, pushing items weighing more than 50 lbs. and/or pulling; frequent climbing and balancing; significant stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity. The job is performed under some temperature extremes.
Please submit a Giles County application, obtainable at http://virginiasmtnplayground.com
Or in person at 315 North Main Street, Pearisburg. You may also include a resume. Deliver to Giles County Administration, Attn: Chris McKlarney, Lead Mechanic Position, 315 N. Main Street, Pearisburg, VA 24134. Deadline for application is Friday, March 9th, at 4:00 p.m.