May 12-14th- AT PreGA*ME Event
May 12-14th- AT PreGA*ME Event
Calling Everyone Who Enjoys Hiking on the Appalachian Trail. Join us May 12 at the Pearisburg Community Market to celebrate hiking on the trail! Activities will be offered from 10:00am-8:30pm.
10:00am-4:00-pm: From Trail to RIVER-Canoeing, Kayaking and Tubing
Get to know Giles County’s most scenic river in a tube, canoe, or kayak! Let us arrange your trip on the New River and provide you with a free shuttle from our office to one of our local outfitters. At the end of your river experience, a shuttle will be provided back to the Pearisburg Community Market for the rest of the festivities. Visit Giles County Tourism and Visitor Center, 203 N. Main Street, in Pearisburg (across from the Pearisburg Post Office and Pearis Mercantile) or call Cora Gnegy at 540.921.2079.
- 4:30-5:30pm: SHARE Your Hiking STORY
Terry Reed of WNRV AM 990 The Ridge, will be at the Pearisburg Community Market to interview hikers who would like to share their thru-hike or day hiking AT story with others! Interviews will be used in a public service announcement for a radio broadcast!
- 5:00-8:30pm: LIVE MUSIC, BREW & COOKOUT
Join us for an evening of live music, affordable local food, brew and MORE on the front lawn at the Pearisburg Community Market as we celebrate together the Appalachian Trail!
Live performance by the band The Wild Turkeys from 6-8pm
Dinner items for purchase include:
- Grass-fed beef cheeseburger served with lettuce, tomato, onion and cheese
- House made BBQ pulled pork sandwich with coleslaw
- Southern style pinto beans and rice
- Fudge brownie
- Carrot cake
- AND Brew!
CHECK OUT THESE BOOTHS ON MAY 12 from 4:30-8:30pm!
- Sign up for SHUTTLE to DAMASCUS: Visit the Appalachian Trail Conservancy booth to sign up for a shuttle to Damascus Trail Days 2016.
- The Giles County Tourism Director will present to talk about New River Water Trail and Giles County tourism activities
- VT Job Fair: Come fill out an application for available jobs at Virginia Tech. Counselors will be available to discuss resume writing and interviewing skills.
- Shop at local farmers market vendors
Join us on May 13th Pearisburg is hosting an AT Breakfast at the Pearisburg Community Center cafeteria.
8:30-10:30am: All hikers and friends are invited to an affordable fresh made local breakfast at the Pearisburg Community Center. Food will be prepared by the Pearisburg Community Market Farm Table.
Menu items for purchase include: House made assorted scones, a breakfast casserole or a breakfast taco. Please make a reservation with Lynne Hazelwood at 540-921-0340 or email Kathryn Herndon @ firstname.lastname@example.org
11:00am: SHUTTLE to DAMACUS Trail Days 2016
All hikers MUST preregister for the shuttle service on Thursday, May 12 at the cookout at the Pearisburg Community Market! Shuttles leave from the Pearisburg Community Center.
MAY 14 is ALL DAY FOR RELAY at the Community Market!
Relay for Life will join the Pearisburg Community Market on the front lawn of the Community Center. There will be a bouncie house, kid’s games, kids art, vendors and LIVE performances on the stage from 9:00am-4:oo pm!
Other activities include:
- Chef Demo at the Farm Table booth 10-11:00am-Chocolate Mint Energy Bites
- At the Kids Activity Booth starting at 10am
Read – THE HONEYMAKERS by Gail Gibbons
Activity: “Share the Buzz” Coloring.
Kids will enjoy honey on a piece of toast, in yogurt, or in another healthy snack. Then recall the steps that were required to make the honey.
- Shop with local farmers market vendors
- Light breakfast and lunch for purchase at the Farm Table. Check out the menu at the Pearisburg Community Market Facebook page
Growing Local-Cooking Fresh
Pearisburg Community Market
1410 Wenonah Avenue, Pearisburg, VA 24134
Follow us on Facebook
Information sent in by:
Regina H. Harless
Town of Pearisburg
112 Tazewell Street
Pearisburg, Virginia 24134
ph (540) 921-0340