We are proud of our current Giles County Senior Center and our doors are open and accessible for you to stop by and join us any weekday Monday thru Friday.
Our seniors range in age 50 to 96 years of age, wisdom and knowledge. We gather or congregate to visit with and enjoy your company. No matter what activity we are doing we are serious, fun and committed to caring about the small details that mean a lot to others. Each individual is an essential vessel of what we do, what we say and what we present to each and everyone. We continue to offer different programs for the interest of all individuals.
Our current schedule includes, but not limited to:
- Quilting Class twice a month on Mondays from 9 am to 12 noon.
- Painting Class twice a month on Mondays from 2 to 4:00 pm (these are on rotating Mondays), Painting one Monday, Quilting the next Monday.
- Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 9 am until 1 pm The Friendship Café is sponsored by the New River Valley Agency on Aging and the Giles County Board of Supervisors. This consists of fellowship, socializing, and a meal. Most are transported by van service offered by the NRV Agency on Aging. The Senior Center does not offer transportation except for specially scheduled trips once or twice a month in the summer months, usually from March to November. If anyone is interested in The Friendship Café Program they must contact and apply with the NRV Agency on Aging by call (540-980-7720).
- The AARP#445 conducts a potluck lunch and meeting the 1st Friday of each Month at 12:30
- Tuesday afternoons the Center is open for games and puzzles. Card games, such as Rummikub, Rook, Board games. And there is always a jigsaw puzzle on the table ready for you to work for a few minutes or hours. Computer available in the lobby for public use
- 3rd Tuesday of the month – we hold a TRIAD meeting in conjunction with the Giles County Sheriff’s Department and RSVP. This is an informative gathering that consists of the latest scam concerns, safety and emergency preparedness for our citizens..
- Wednesday afternoon – Bridge at 1:00 pm.
- Thursday afternoons we have crocheting, knitting, and some time people stop to work on quilts or just to sew. We have sewing machines for your use on site.
- Tai Chi Exercise Class – Monday and Friday at 5:00 pm (that may change in the near future, we will keep you advised of all changes)
- We offer scheduled trips to Wohlfahrt House, Barter Theatre and other places of interest. It is on a first come, first serve basis (we have van capacity for 12 people). We always have a good time and meal each place we travel.
Other events monthly a country breakfast (offered from April to October), AARP Safe Driving Class and Income Tax Service (once a year). A representative from NRV Agency On Aging meets citizens here for at least 4 Fridays during the open enrollment season from October to December for Medicare Part D. You have to call them to schedule the appointment. Our events are subject to change without notice due to problems beyond our control, inclement weather, etc. Bingo and other events are sponsored throughout the year.
We have several group/organizations that use the facility for meetings and meals.
The Giles County Board of Supervisors supports this facility for the use of citizens in our County and we are most grateful. It is a convenient location, ample parking and handicap accessible. It is a clean, home style, comfortable environment for your outing pleasure. Your visits and company are what makes the Senior Center a vital hub for citizens in our beautiful County of Giles. No matter where you roam there is no place like home. So stop by and sit and chat with us a “bit” and you can leave with a smile and more knowledge than you arrived with.