Various services provided by the Sheriff’s Office include:
- Providing 24-hour patrol throughout the county
- Dispatch services for the Sheriff’s Office, five town police departments, Giles and Newport Rescue Squads, County Ambulance Service, eight fire departments, Virginia State Police, Virginia Game Wardens, and animal control officers.
- Criminal Investigation of various crimes throughout the county
- School Resource Officers at all five Giles County schools
- DARE instruction for all three Elementary Schools
- Support for the Giles County PULSAR program
- Support for the Giles County Youth-Adult Partnership
The Sheriff’s Office is divided into several divisions. Each of these fills a particular need within the department.
Administrative Support Division
The Administrative Support Division is responsible for all executive and personnel administrative functions. The division serves as a liaison for the Sheriff and uniformed officers with the public.
- Administrative Support also conducts all secretarial/clerical functions — correspondence, records management, accounting, personnel, transcripts of interviews, etc.
- Persons needing assistance may contact the Administrative Support Division for referral to the appropriate division within the department.
Criminal Investigations Division
The Criminal Investigations Division is responsible for investigating various crimes committed in the county. These include homicides, suicides, narcotics violations, burglaries, identity thefts, frauds, and other felony-level offenses.
The Criminal Investigations Division consists of two Criminal Investigators, one Crime Scene Investigator, and one Narcotics Investigator.