Teacher Appreciation Deals, Discounts, & Drawings
Be a Tourist in Your Own Backyard Month & National Teacher Appreciation Month
Teachers- hear us- THANK YOU! In May we celebrate National Teacher Appreciation Month and
some of our local businesses are offering deals and specials just for you, just this month. It is also Business Appreciation Month and locally we are celebrating ‘Tourist in Your Own Backyard’. It’s all comes together so well… The Giles Office of Tourism Marketing is coordinating efforts to encourage all friends and neighbors in Giles County to be a ‘Tourist in Your Own Backyard’ the entire month of May. Along with business spotlight blog posts on GilesCounty.org, pictures and videos on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, and promoting community events, there will also be special group hikes and the 2nd Annual Giles County Scavenger Hunt.
While there may be others added to our list (check GilesCounty.org or find ‘GilesCountyVA’ on Facebook) below are some of the special offers just for our teachers, just for the month of May.
- Allure Spa & Skin Health Boutique service Gift Certificates are a great idea for Mother’s Day & teachers
- 602 Wenonah Ave, Pearisburg, VA 24134, (540) 921-2300
- AlyKatz Kitchen offering a free cookie with purchase with proper ID
- 105 N Main St, Pearisburg, VA 24134, (540) 921-1039
- Cascade Cafe & Tangent Outfitters will enter each teacher with proper ID into a gift basket drawing for merchandise, food, and more! Shop often- more tickets for drawing!
- 201 Cascade Dr, Pearisburg, VA 24134, (540) 626-4567
- Gateway Gifts has a variety of specials all month for teachers!
- 247 Old Virginia Avenue, Rich Creek, VA 24147, (540) 726-2993
- GearHead Junction & GearHead Moto Tours will enter every teacher who stops in their shop into a prize drawing to happen at the end of the month.
- 113 Tazewell St, Pearisburg, VA 24134, (540) 787-5050
- Giles County Historical Society & Museum Gift Shop Offering a 10% discount on entire Museum Gift Shop purchase!
- 208 N Main St, Pearisburg, VA 24134, (540) 921-1050
- Giles Mountain Vineyard & Winery offering a complimentary wine tasting with proper ID (see website for Saturday hours)
- 290 Moye Rd, Staffordsville, VA 24167, (540) 818-0566
- Pearis Mercantile will enter each teacher who comes into the shop into a drawing for prizes, which will happen on Wednesday, May 30th
- 200 N Main St, Pearisburg, VA 24134, (540)921-2260
- Right Turn Clyde Brewing Company FREE Concert to hear The Return of Farmhouse Ghost for teachers on May 6th beginning at 6:30pm.
- 300 A Main St, Narrows, VA 24124, (540) 921-7283
- The Palisades Restaurant offering 10% off purchase with proper ID (school/work badge)
- 168 Village St, Eggleston, VA 24086, (540) 626-2828
Community members and friends are encouraged to explore the 37 miles of the New River Water Trail, 60+ miles of the Appalachian Trail and Great Eastern Trail, and multiple town parks that offer opportunities to hike, bike, paddle, and be in nature. In Giles County you can find nature walks along the New River that are appropriate for all ages or challenging inclined hikes for a more adventuresome trek. There are historically significant hikes, as well as world class fishing in our streams and the New River.
You are especially invited to our Friday Fellowship Hikes! The sole purpose of these group hikes are to get people together, enjoy the fresh air, and explore or rediscover a piece of Virginia’s Mountain Playground™. Hikes will begin every Friday morning at 9am at the locations designated below. All hikes will be casual and low impact, however we can direct you to nearby more challenging hikes if you would like to continue hiking. We’ve also included suggested activities around the hike times to continue enjoying our local businesses and fellowship with each other.
We encourage you to bring your staff, bring your friends, bring your neighbors, and/or bring your family. You can do as much or as little of these hikes are you have time. Enjoy being a tourist in your own backyard this month…. If you would like to RSVP (no requirement to do so) or have additional questions, please email email@example.com or call Cora, Tourism Marketing Director at 540-921-2079. Most hikes will take less than an hour.
Meet us at 9am for a short, friendly, casual hike through some of the public parks and spaces in Giles County, Virginia. Come to one-or come to all!
- May 5th
- Whitt-Riverbend Park. Address 995 Ripplemead Rd, Pearisburg. (Afterwards grab some coffee and a pastry at AlyKatz Kitchen, 105 S Main St. They open at 10:30am)
- May 12th
- Mary Ingles Trail. Address Campground Dr, Glen Lyn. (Try Central Restaurant for an early lunch following the hike. Address 101 Church St, Rich Creek. They open at 11am)
- May 19th
- Treasure Island Playground & Pembroke Town Park loop. Address 116 Pembroke Park Ln. (Cascades Café would be perfect for coffee before or a milkshake after. Their address 201 Cascade Dr.)
- May 26th
- Mill Creek Nature Park (Bring your discs and try a game of disc golf at Camp Success afterwards). Directions: Follow Northview Street approximately 3 blocks, turn right onto College Street, then take the next left onto Poplar Street. Continue on Poplar Street for .8 miles to the stop sign and turn right on the gravel road (through the open gate) to the parking area for Mill Creek Nature Park. Alternately- follow Northview Street to end and continue on gravel road (through open gate) to parking area.