Your Giles County Senior Center, located at 1320 Wenonah Ave., Pearisburg, VA is open for your visiting pleasure to come and go, to visit and spend time with others. It is a nice clean, spacious, easily accessible location that is open to Seniors age 50 plus. We offer a variety of activities and event including…
- The Card Game – Rummikub
- Low-Impact Exercise Class – is held each Tuesday and Thursday morning at 10:00 am. It is offered free of charge to our Seniors
- Bridge Card Game – Thursday@ 1:00pm. We have a fun and knowledgeable group of bridge players that love to play the card game and are always looking for individuals that would be interested in making our bridge circle grow.
- Jigsaw puzzles are always on the table for you to put together as you chat with others of the same interest.
- The Center is home to the Local AARP Chapter #445. We are also supported by our neighboring AARP Chapters. They provide a trained instructor of the AARP Safe Driving Class (usually held once a year in our county). There is a minimum fee for this Class which offers a great update and knowledge of driving on the roads in our current world. In taking this class it may make you eligible for a discount on your vehicle insurance carrier.
- VICAP (Virginia Insurance Counseling and Assistance Program) from the New River Valley Agency on Aging can assist you to navigate entrance into the Medicare system at age 65. They assist our Seniors with the Medicare Part D Open Enrollment Period (October 15 – December 7) to look at your current prescription drug and health plans. It is very important to have these plans reviewed on a yearly basis because of constant changes in health care coverage.
- In the summer months we delight in day trips traveling the surrounding areas and always enjoying a nice lunch before returning to our beautiful county.
- A monthly meal is held the 1st Friday of each month usually from April thru September.
- Chair yoga, which is held on Thursdays after exercise. It is offered free of charge to our Seniors. Chair yoga is a form of yoga that is done sitting on a chair or using a chair as a prop, which is especially helpful for those with limited mobility or balance issues. Chair yoga improves flexibility, increases strength, and reduces stress and joint strain, among many other benefits.
- During the colder months, we offer a variety of activities such as crochet and painting classes.
We are here to assist you when needed whether you are needing to track down helpful information or a great location to make friends and get out of the house for a bit. We appreciate your support of the Senior Center and are glad that we are here with you and for you. If interested in receiving our newsletter please call and you will be put on our mailing list.
Contact information: (540) 921-3924 or email email@example.com
Activities and events are subject to cancellation without notice (except senior trips.) This is due to unforeseen circumstances that may occur at the last minute.
The Giles County Board of Supervisors supports this facility for the use of citizens in our County and we are most grateful.